18 dogs rescued from mall fire

(Photo credit: GaryAlvis/Getty Images)

18 dogs were rescued last Saturday from a fire inside a mall in Simi Valley, California, reports Fox 11.

A daring fire rescue

Early in the morning, firefighters responded to the call of a local merchant. According to the Ventura County Fire Department, the call came in around 9 a.m. At that time, the shopkeeper found smoke filling his entire store. Apparently the smoke was so dense that it descended to his knees. To make matters worse, firefighters said the flames had spread to other nearby buildings. In total, the flames damaged a dozen businesses on the property.

Unfortunately, one of the businesses affected was the Simi Valley Pet Resort. Inside, flames and smoke approached 18 dogs stuck in crates. Fortunately, with the help of the public, firefighters were able to evacuate all 18 dogs from the property. Videos and photos posted on firefighters Twitter show puppies being cared for by first responders and good samaritans.

After stopping the fire, the VCFD contacted the affected dog parents to ask them to retrieve their furry friends. At this time, firefighters have not determined the cause of the fire.

Little lasting damage

Surprisingly, of the 10 businesses affected by the fire, only one suffered structural damage. More importantly, no injuries were reported. Luckily, there was no one else inside the closed mall.

Soon the dogs will return home safely and suffer no adverse health effects. As with humans, exposure to heavy smoke can cause lasting harm to our pets. Smoke inhalation can put dogs in a vulnerable state to contract a range of respiratory problems. Additionally, the costs of treatment and therapy for diseases like emphysema can add up very quickly, not to mention the effects on our dogs’ standard of living.

Fortunately, the quick reactions of first responders and the heroism of the public saved the lives of these dogs.